Pediatric Ear, Nose, and Throat (ENT) Care
The Division of Pediatric Otolaryngology provides complete care for all diseases involving the ear, nose, and throat.
We also make arrangements for children who need any type of ear, nose, or throat surgery.
Advanced Treatments for Kids with Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders
We offer the following specialized techniques for treating ear, nose, and throat problems:
- Laryngotracheal reconstructions
- Pediatric sinus surgery
- Cochlear implants
- Congenital ear reconstructions
- Placement of tympanostomy tubes
- Bone-anchored hearing appliances
- Removal of ear tumors
- Removal of tonsils and adenoids
- Ear tube placement and removal
- Testing for nasal and Eustachian tube function
- Audiologic exams
ENT Specialty Areas
Childhood ear disorders
Through the Hearing Center and Congenital Ear Center, we offer:
- Assessments and diagnoses.
- Advanced treatments fordisorders of the ear.
Our experts are among the most experienced in the world in managing childhood ear disorders including:
- All types of otitis media
- Aural atresia
- Prominent ears
- Malformed ears
- Conductive hearing loss
- Sensorineural hearing loss
- Tympanic membrane perforation
Airway and breathing disorders
We manage a wide range of inborn and acquired airway disorders in children, including:
- Severe subglottic stenosis
- Posterior subglottic stenoses
- Supraglottic stenosis
- Combination stenoses
- Stent cases
- Revision cases
- Laryngeal clefts
- Laryngotracheoesophageal clefts
- Tracheal stenoses
- Base of tongue/epiglottic collapse
We offer innovative surgical methods, such as:
- The novel use of lasers.
- Procedures involving cartilage and mucosal grafting.
- Minimally invasive endoscopic techniques.
Our assessment and treatment plan includes other medical conditions, such as those involving:
- The pulmonary and gastrointestinal systems
Video-recording capabilities complement the structural OR assessment.
We also maintain a patient database and registry. Approved by the Institutional Review Board at the University of Pittsburgh, it allows us to collect specialized patient data.
Childhood voice, resonance, and swallowing disorders
Our team of ENT specialists provides complete exams, treatments, and specialized testing of the full range of voice, resonance, and swallowing conditions.
- Vocal fatigue
- Nasal speech problems
- Problems managing salivary secretions
The team’s total care approach includes identifying other conditions — such as reflux or allergies — that might cause a voice or swallowing problem.